Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Beginning....

This is a blog dedicated to those with food allergies and/or intolerances. In it, I will be publishing my own personal experiences with Celiac and other allergies along with delicious and easy recipes! There are probably hundreds of like blogs out there, but one more perspective never hurts!

Please bear with me, as I am new to this. I will have a few 'bugs' to work out as I go, I'm sure! In the future, I will post pictures to go with many of the recipes.

So! To start off the first of many blogs, I will leave you with a recipe for a delicious meal that will be entirely free of: Wheat, gluten, dairy, yeast, eggs...but not flavor!


Chicken Oreganata
2 lemons, juiced (OR 2 Tb lemon juice)
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/3 C olive oil
Whisk together above ingredients, then pour over in a shallow casserole:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
2 C fresh mushrooms
5 8oz cans whole potatoes (Wal Mart brand is gluten free!)
Toss all ingredients together and place in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour. For a shorter baking time, simply pre-cook your chicken in the microwave, and then bake the entree' for only 30-40 minutes.
Another cooking method that works is to place all ingredients in the crock pot. Cook on low all day, or for five hours on high.
Mixed vegetables can also be added to the ingredients if you wish!
For those not dairy intolerant, this dish can be topped with fresh Romano or Parmesan cheese.
'Hershey's' Chocolate Cake - Revised
My family, allergy and non - allergy alike, cannot get enough of this cake!
1 1/2 C Sugar
1 3/4 C All Purpose gluten free flour mix (see below)
1/2 C Hershey's baking cocoa
1/4 C Hershey's Special Dark baking cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
(2 eggs OR) Egg replacer equivelant of 2 eggs - OR 2 TB plain applesauce
1/2 C vegetable or canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C milk or rice milk OR for coffee lovers, 1 C cold coffee
1 C boiling water
Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease 9x13 or 2 - 9" round pans.
Combine dry ingredients and then add wet (except for water). Beat medium speed 2 min. Stir in boiling water.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack until warm.
This cake needs no frosting, but you can frost if you like!
Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
You can use this cup for cup (with a little adjustments in the liquids as this is a very dry flour) in all of your regular recipes. I will be using it in most of mine, and will re-post it often. It has truly been a life saver for me!
1 Cup brown rice flour (Lundberg Farms and Bob's Red Mill are gluten free)
1 1/4 Cup white rice flour (or simply use brown rice flour instead)
1/4 Cup potato starch
2/3 Cup tapioca flour
3/4 Cup sweet white rice flour
1/3 Cup corn starch
2 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
I usually quadruple this recipe, EXCEPT for the xanthan gum. I only double that, as the recipes get too gummy with more. The sweet white rice flour can be a challenge to find. I order mine through Bob's Red Mill, or Asian stores and local co-ops sell it, too. Also, it is NECESSARY TO PUT THIS IN THE FREEZER OR FRIDGE to avoid it going rancid.
Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Kimberly Nihart said...

Both of these recipes tried and proven!! Thank you for this blog. I know I have gained so much info from talking to you. I will be checking in often.