Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Lull In The Storm - Well, Sort Of...



In the midst of the crazy, busy life that surrounds me, the Lord has provided an odd way to bring me some solitude: the flu. No, no, not me, my oldest daughter. She woke up sick in the middle of the night (and bless her heart, she didn't even come wake me - just puked her li'l guts up all by herself), and as a result is recovering in her bed this morning. Which happens to be Sunday. Which means everyone else is....at church. And it is blissfully, wonderfully QUIET.

Which brings me to my humble little blog.

And even if no one actually reads my posts, it is therapeutic for me to write them.

That being said, I must tell whoever happens to read this of a wonderful Italian (what's with the Italian dishes? Perhaps I should review my family tree?) dish that had my entire family head over heels in soup love. A friend gave me this recipe eons ago, and I just never really thought to try it. Now I know what I've been missing all these, uh, eons.


So, behold, I bring you Easy Pasta Fagioli Soup (pronounced fa-shool):

2 cans (15oz. ea) white beans, drained
1 jar (28 oz) plain spaghetti sauce
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 pound ea of GF sausage and ground beef
3 C water
2 C cooked small GF pasta (abc's or fusilli works great)

Optional: Freshly grated cheese of your choice

Brown meats in a 4-5 qt saucepan. Drain. Combine all other ingredients except pasta (and cheese). Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to low and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add already cooked pasta (pre-cooked separately to reduce starch in the soup) and stir. For those who are able, garnish individual servings with cheese.

THIS is an incredible soup. Prepare to be wowed. And be..


Happy for the Unexpected Quiet Moments!

1 comment:

Cheryl Anderson said...

Finally getting around the checking out other's blogs. Some are quite fancy. We don't have food allergies, but I certainly love hearing about your family and the food stuff helps me understand Shane. But I do understand the need for priorities and computers can really dominate.