Thursday, March 19, 2009

BEWARE!

It's getting close to Spring, which for some of us means one thing: the sniffling, sneazing ALLERGIES!

But think twice before taking that antihistimine pill if you have a severe LACTOSE allergy. That pill may contain something known as lactose monohydrate.

That ingredient, my friend, is pure lactose from dairy. And you may find that each tablet can contain up to 81 mgs. of lactose!

Lactose monohydrate is found in certain drugs like Claritin, Zyrtec and Ambien.

So before you purchase any drug from the pharmacy, ask for a list of ingredients. I am now also going to check all of my over the counter drugs as well for this ingredient.

I find it amazing that the FDA will require all FOOD labels to show any allergens, yet when it comes to drugs, it is not necessary.

I plan to write to these companies to plead with them to change their inactive ingredients.

In the meantime, I need to research what medications I CAN take!


Happy Medication Hunting!

No comments: