Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wow 'Em With Oven Fried Chicken!

I've been gone for some time - the man's schedule and the offspring's basketball addiction have kept me quite busy, thank you very much! But now I am back. And I need to admit something...
I've tried. So many, many times. And yet I still...can't make...fried chicken. Even if my life depended on it. True story. Sad, but true.

That's where Oven Fried Chicken comes in to save the day! When I made this as the main dish for a recent meal, I even got 'the wave' from the family. It is that good!

Here are the makings:


Grease a 9x13 glass casserole

5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup olive oil in a shallow bowl

In a gallon ziploc bag:

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour (see recipe below)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 425*

Place chicken, one at a time, in olive oil. Be sure to thoroughly coat the breast in oil.
Place chicken, one at a time, in bag. Seal and shake to coat completely. Place in greased casserole.

Arrange all chicken in casserole and place uncovered in oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn over each piece and bake an additional 15 minutes more.


Now you can make 'Fried Chicken' - even if it's just pretend!

GF All Purpose Flour Blend:

2 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum

All purchased from Bob's Red Mill

Blend all together thoroughly. Do not double xanthan gum, as your recipes will be too sticky. For example, if quadrupling the recipe, only use 2 tsp xanthan. Store mixture in a cool, dry place - preferably in the refrigerator.

Use this mix cup for cup in all of your traditional recipes.




Happy Finger Lickin'!

No comments: