Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gluten Free Flour Meets Protein


I love my gluten free flour recipe. I love the way it bakes, the crumb of it, the texture, the flavor. I really do. But it is lacking one thing: protein.

I've been wanting to add quinoa flour to my flour mix for a long time, but the strong flavor of it has been holding me back. Yesterday, I experimented and came up with a recipe that actually improved my flour mix! My biscuits and pancakes have more texture now, almost as though I was using a whole wheat flour.

Without further ado, here is the recipe for the protein enriched gluten free flour mix. I hope you like it!

2 cups Bob's Red Mill (or any superfine milled) brown rice flour

1/4 cup quinoa flour

2/3 cup potato starch

1/3 cup tapioca flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

Mix all ingredients together and store in a cool, dry place.

When doubling, do not double xanthan gum. For example, if you quadruple the recipe, you should only have 2 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum in your mix.


Happy healthier baking!

No comments: