Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pizza. How Do I Love Thee? Even More Now.



One of the worst part of food allergies: no pizza with cheese. The other: no omelettes.

The good news: pizza can be fixed. The bad news: no such luck on omelettes. Yet.

I have finally - after five years of not having eaten even a sliver of cheese - made a 'real' pizza. With cheese. I didn't want to speak to anyone during dinner. I was having too much fun. Or was I falling in love? I cannot tell.

I owe my gratitude to the folks over at Daiya Vegan Cheese. http://www.daiyafoods.com/


Now, before you gag and roll your eyes, let me assure you of one thing: this cheese is GOOD. It's not Tillamook, but it is good.So good, in fact, I am sharing my complete pizza and cheesy bread recipes with you. Because you are going to want to make this. Right away. Or tomorrow. Or both.



Pizza Crust - GF/DF/EF

1 Cup warm water
1 Tb yeast
1 Tb sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tb olive oil
2 Cups GF flour or more (recipe below)


In a mixing bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in water. When bubbles form, add oil, flour and salt. Beat well with mixer. Add more flour until dough is no longer sticky but pliable. Pat out onto an oiled stone. Bake at 400 for ten minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.

Top the partially baked crust with sauce (recipe below), toppings and Daiya cheese. You won't want to use as much Daiya as you do dairy cheese. A little goes a long way. As a rule, use half the amount you normally would.

Bake the pizza for another ten to fifteen minutes, or until cheese is entirely melted and the crust is almost golden.

Pizza Sauce

1 6oz can tomato paste
Splash of white cooking wine
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp agave nectar or sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Crushed basil & oregano to taste

Place all ingredients in a small saucepot. Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring often.

GF Flour
2 Cups Bob's Red Mill superfine brown rice flour
2/3 Cup Potato starch
1/3 Cup tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum

Mix thoroughly (I use a whisk) and store in a cool, dry place. I like to keep mine in the fridge during the warm months.


Bread Sticks

Grease a 9x13 casserole dish. Using the same recipe as for the pizza crust, pat half the dough into the dish. Dot with Earth Balance http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/ and sprinkle with Daiya Cheese. Sprinkle garlic powder and a pinch of crushed basil over the cheese. Top that layer with the remaining dough. Rub with olive oil and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.


As long as you have a place to live, people who love you and clothes on your back, life is good. But I must say that as of tonight life, for me anyway, just got a little bit better.






Happy Stuffing Your Face With Pizza!


2 comments:

Maria said...

Okay so where is the new blog post! I am missing you already!
M

Mrs. Rohmance said...

Well, in between eating fried chicken and watching Oprah all day, I haven't found the time! Ha! I have some in mind, I think I will have one in the next few days. Email me! =]