Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Kids' Favorite Bread


If you're thinking the girl in the above picture is a leetle creepy looking, you're right. 

But it has bread in it. 

And that is today's topic.

Hence the creepy bread and jam girl picture.

My twin sons cannot eat yeast. Yes, that throws a kink in shopping. Yes, it is a pain. But I have at least finally found success with a recipe they absolutely love. 

I have tried countless salt rising bread recipes. I have tried countless baking powder rising recipes. But with the gluten free flour, the loaves usually come out pretty heavy instead of light and fluffy.

The following recipe has been the answer to my bread making prayers. The kids absolutely love it and claim it tastes 'just like real bread'! Whatever 'real' means. Anyway...

The only drawback to this bread is that it requires egg whites. I have tried it without the eggs so that I can partake but it wasn't successful. At all.

So if you can eat eggs, you're set to make the best yeast free bread on the planet.

Here we go:

Yeast Free Bread (from the Blendtec Lifestyles recipe book)

1 cup milk (either dairy or your choice of substitute milk)
1/3 cup extra light olive oil (Don't substitute this with another oil. You will regret it.)
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsps baking powder
1 T sugar
1/2 cup quick cooking oats OR quiona flakes
1 1/2 cups *gluten free flour (or regular flour if you can have it)

If you own a Blendtec blender, simply place all ingredients in the blender in the order listed. Press the speed up button until it reaches speed 6. Allow to run for 30 seconds.

If you don't own a Blendtec, BUY ONE! But until then, simply place all your ingredients in a blender and blend on medium high speed for 30 seconds (I haven't tried this personally, but I'm guessing it would work just fine.)

The reason for putting the dough through the blender to mix is you want those egg whites to get nice and fluffy. A mixer just doesn't do the trick. Trust me on this one.

Grease a 4.5 x 8.5 loaf pan. Place the dough in the pan and bake in a 350* oven for 40 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the loaf to loosen and gently turn out the loaf onto wire rack.

If I want to make two loaves, I do not double the recipe. It doesn't turn out right. But it really only takes a few minutes to put together another one. And then you can bake both loaves at the same time.


*GF Flour


2 Cups Bob's Red Mill superfine brown rice flour
2/3 Cup Potato starch
1/3 Cup tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum

Mix thoroughly (I use a whisk) and store in a cool, dry place. I like to keep mine in the fridge during the warm months
 

Happy Baking Day!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thank you! Keep on posting them recipes!

Tiffany said...

Where would I find the xanthan gum in the grocery store???