Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Time to till the garden!


Each year we put in a pretty large garden. Unfortunately, it has been so cold here in Idaho that we haven't been able to till it until now. The cold hasn't stopped the dandelions one bit though. They have been throwing parties in our yard and the garden plot, complete with party hats. So we had to crash their festivities first before the ground could be prepared.

Speaking of party poopers, do you have any idea just how much two year old chicken manure and compost you have to use for a fairly large garden?

It's a lot.

Thank you, chickens. You did your part.

But one thing I have not planted yet is strawberries. I think next year I might be brave enough to try. They just sound complicated to me, and 'complicated' is not one of my favorite subjects right now. It makes me grumpy.

But until I become brave enough, I buy strawberries by the flat. Strawberries really do make me happy.

And the recipe below makes me happy as well - and I know it will make you happy too.

Until you go to button last year's capris, that is.

Then you'll be the grumpy one.

Until you have another slice. Then you won't care.

Fresh Strawberry Cake
• 2 1/4 cups *GF flour (or wheat if you can partake)

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

• 1/2 cup butter (I use soy free Earth Balance)

• 1 1/2 cups sugar (You can reduce to 1 cup - I do - or use the equivalent in agave syrup)

• 2 large eggs (I use Ener-g egg replacer or 4 Tb plain applesauce)

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 3/4 cup fresh hulled and crushed strawberries, unsweetened (Throw 'em in the blender - it's easier)


 Preheat oven to 350.

Cream together: butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat for three minutes.
To that add the flour, salt, and baking powder. 
 Beat for two minutes.
Then add the crushed strawberries.
Beat for one more minute.
 Pour batter into 9x13 greased cake pan.
Bake in pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool pan on wire rack for fifteen minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen cake and turn out on to wire cooling rack to cool entirely.

If desired, serve with rice, soy or dairy whip. Or whip up a can of chilled coconut milk for a topping.

Yum yum!

*GF Flour
2 cups Bob's Red Mill superfine brown rice flour
2/3 cup Potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum


Happy Gardening!

No comments: