Monday, June 13, 2011

A Little Leaven....

If you cannot consume foods containing yeast, you may frequently look something like this:


Well, to be truthful, our model (my middle daughter) can, in fact, have yeast. She is merely doing a very good impersonation of Tammy Faye Baker.

But I think my point is made.

Yeast makes all breads taste amazing. Yeast free breads are usually less than amazing.

My twin sons have a yeast allergy. I have a wonderful bread recipe that we use for their breads (since it is, in fact, a bread recipe. Yes indeedee.) It is fluffy, moist and delicious.

For bread.

But pizza crust is another matter entirely. Pizza crust must be crisp yet balanced with just the right amount of softness.

Thankfully, I have found a close runner up to my traditional yeast pizza crust recipe with the following scrumptious ingredients:

Yeast Free Pizza Crust

2 cups GF flour mix** or any GF flour blend
1 Tb baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup water

(optional ingredients include a bit of garlic powder, basil and oregano for kick)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Oil your pizza pan or stone (a stone is your best bet).

In your mixer, combine all ingredients. Now, you do not want your dough to be sticky. You also do not want it to be dry and crumbly. So depending on your climate, you may need to adjust. Add just enough additional flour to too sticky dough - or - add water to too crumbly dough to make the final product just barely 'moist' feeling - the perfect balance of soft, moist and pliable.

With oiled fingers, pat dough bit by bit directly onto your oiled pan (even if it's a stone - oil it!) just one quarter of an inch in thickness. You can make it even thinner if you like. Press dough outward to form the edges (at this point, you can roll regular or Daiya dairy free cheese into the crust edges if desired). I have a small pastry roller from Pampered Chef that makes this job just a little easier.

Now that you have your dough on your pan, go ahead and pop it in the oven for ten minutes to pre-bake. It won't be entirely baked but it will keep the crust nice and crispy and not at all doughy.

Once your crust has pre-baked, choose the toppings of your choice and place the finished product in the oven for another ten minutes or until cheese/Daiya is melted.

Welcome to bliss, folks.


**GF Flour


2 Cups Bob's Red Mill superfine brown rice flour

2/3 Cup Potato starch

1/3 Cup tapioca flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

Mix thoroughly (I use a whisk) and store in a cool, dry place. I like to keep mine in the fridge during the warm months.
 
Happy Leaven Free Bread Days!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Yesss!!!!! I can't wait try this one! Thank you!

Kimberly said...

Okay I tried the bread, but can't do the eggs. Egg replacer apparently didn't cut it cause it was...interesting...to say the least. It was delicious but looked strange. Also I used my regular blender and didn't have luck with that either. The kids were looking at me a little funny...like "you want us to eat that?" But slap a little almond butter and jelly on it and they didn't mind too much. Love, love, love the taste of it but must perfect the egg free version. Perhaps if I whip up the egg replacer to fluffy egg white texture before I put it in the mix?

Kimberly said...

OH... and thanks for the pizza crust recipe. We'll be trying it for family night !!!