Saturday, June 18, 2011

WHOA!!!! YUM!!!!



Oh, my heavenly days. I am in love with Almond Meal/Flour. Madly, completely and entirely in l.o.v.e.

Simply substitute 1/4 cup of 1 cup flour (so if a recipe calls for 1 cup flour, you would measure 1/4 cup almond/meal flour and 3/4 cup flour) in your baking recipes.

I made the following cornbread recipe tonight (the same one I have used for fifteen years - only tonight I did the almond flour substitution.)  When I bit into the finished product, topped with honey and Earth Balance.....I died and went to heaven.

Well, not really.

But it was real heavenly.

Because in Heaven, the Lord will have a table only for the food freaks. And that table will have bagels and cream cheese, nacho dip, homemade bread with fresh churned butter, Pietro's pizza, Denver omeletes and so much more.

I haven't found the reference yet, but I'm sure it's in my King James Bible somewhere. Or at least the concordance.

Anyway, here's the recipe.

The Most Wonderful Cornbread Ever

3/4 cup almond flour/meal
2 1/4 cup GF flour mix **
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
2 Tb baking powder
1/3 cup extra light olive oil
2 Tb honey
2 eggs or replacer (I used 2 Tb ground flax seed with just enough warm water to make a thin paste)
2 cups cold water (if the dough is still thick, add just enough additional water to thin it just to spreading consistancy)

Preheat oven to 400*. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.

Blend together the dry ingredients.
Next add the wet ingredients and beat well with a mixer.
Pour batter into pan and bake for 20 minutes (it may be done at 18, so watch for it to be golden).

Serve warm with honey and butter or Earth Balance.

You are welcome.

**GF Flour Mix

2 Cups Bob's Red Mill superfine brown rice flour
2/3 Cup Potato starch
1/3 Cup tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum

Mix thoroughly (I use a whisk) and store in a cool, dry place. I like to keep mine in the fridge during the warm months.




Happy Cornbread Days!

No comments: