Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's okay. You can stop giving everyone the evil eye now.


Unless you don't live by a Whole Foods, that is.

Then keep glaring at them.

Oh, who? Those who can just pop a frozen pizza in the oven or simply pick up the telephone and order one. Without flinching, blinking or checking ingredients.

Barbarians. Every single one of them.

But back to the Whole Foods thingy...

I was in Tigard, Oregon, which is where I grew up. And boy, howdy are there A LOT of weird people there! Just sayin'!

Anyways, I was in Tigard, Oregon and found a Whole Foods. Let me tell you, it is like Disneyland for the food challenged. Everywhere you look there is something a freak like me can eat.

As I strolled down the frozen foods aisle, I waltzed right past (Can one waltz AND stroll simultaneously? Well, I did it even if one cannot.) the frozen pizzas. Why?

Number One: There are never any 'gluten free AND dairy free' frozen pizzas in the frozen case.

Number Two: If the law of physics actually overrules reason Number One and I find a 'gluten free, dairy free' pizza, the cheese-like product that is supposed to be 'dairy free' will actually contain casein.

Liars.

But as I was waltzing by, my ever observant husband said, "Hey! Did you see this?" Which I obviously did not because I was too busy waltzing. But when I took a glance, there it was!

Whole Foods 365 Vegan Gluten Free Frozen Pizza!

Hot diggity! If it says 'vegan', that means NO casein, NO eggs, NO nothing bad!

That baby comes with roasted peppers and sundry other unidentifiable veggies.

Which is quite boring, really.

So I simply added 'safe' pepperoni (because I am not even close to being a closet vegan) and topped it all with a generous helping of mozzarella Daiya cheese.

I popped it in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes and cut it in fourths, wondering if it would be as good as it smelled.

And it was!

And I didn't even have to give my husband the evil eye for enjoying his pizza that was made at a restaurant.

Because now I had one that tasted like it just came from one. And it was just about as easy.



Happy Lazy Dinner Night!

2 comments:

ME said...

Did you know they are building a Whole Foods Market downtown, here? They are putting it on the corner of Broadway and Front, in that vacant lot. I have no idea when they plan this, but the sign is up!! I was so excited when I saw that!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I've found this. My son was just diagnosed w/ milk, egg, yeast, corn and oat allergies. Pizza has been the hardest substitution so far. Thank you!