Saturday, October 29, 2011

Ya Slob!

Poor Joe.

He was such a slob.

But thanks to him, we have a great sandwich!

Hooray for Joe!

And hooray for allergy free Sloppy Joes!

These babies are perfect for those hectic nights.

First, you will want to assemble your ingredients:


For the buns, I like these Ener-g Seattle Hamburger Buns. They contain no gluten, eggs or dairy. If you can have eggs and dairy, there are hamburger buns available that contain them, resulting in a better bread. I simply slice and toast these on a low bagel setting for about a minute, and they taste great!

For the sloppy sauce, I use Imagine tomato soup (again, no dairy), two small cans of tomato paste, onions, minced garlic and peppers (any variety).

We have a good sized family with four teens, so for this recipe I used one pound of ground beef and one pound of ground turkey.


Brown your meat. Halfway through the cooking process, add the onions, garlic and peppers.

It is also a good idea to throw in some salt and other spices.

I used some cumin, chili powder and whatever else I thought would give the meat some 'pep'.


When the meat is cooked thoroughly, add 3/4 of the carton of soup and both cans of tomato paste.



If you like a little 'kick' to your Joes, add some hot sauce. I didn't heat it too much, so the bottle went on the table for those who like the really hot stuff.

Weirdos.

At this point in the 'Joe' prep, you have two choices:

You can put your meat mixture in a crock pot and set to low for about 6 hours.

Or, you can let it simmer for about fifteen minutes and serve right away on the toasted buns.

We paired ours with a garden salad.

Oh, and a fork. Did I mention that they're sloppy?

Any way you make them, they are sure to please your crew!


Happy Messy Eating!

2 comments:

2 Moms of a Feather...Stick Together said...

LOL !!!
You are hiliarious!
Thanks for the recipe. 8~)
Nancy

Sunny Jane said...

I'm leaving you a comment. Now I'm not a creeper...