Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fluffy!



If you've ever tried to make your own gluten free, dairy free, egg free pancakes, you probably had the same reaction I have every time I make them:

"Sigh. These will do."

Until this morning.

You see, I am sick (cue sad, depressing, violin music here).

And all that sounded good were pancakes.

Even the 'These will do' ones.

Only in the process, I remembered that I always put Cream of Tartar in my biscuits to make them light and airy.

Why not do that with pancakes?

So I did.

WOW!!!!

Light and fluffy, boy howdy!

So, before I go back to bed (cue sad, depressing violin music again), I am sharing the recipe with you!

Light & Fluffy Pancakes (vegan, gluten free)

2 C gluten free flour mix (see link at top of blog)
1 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tb extra light oil (I use olive)
Egg replacer to equal 2 eggs (I use Ener-G)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup to 1 cup almond milk (enough to make the batter *almost* runny, but not thin)

Place all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly.
Add 1/2 cup milk, prepared egg replacer, oil and vanilla.
Blend with mixer.
Add just enough of the remaining almond milk to make an almost runny batter.
Blend with mixer.
Your batter should be bubbly.

In a medium hot skillet (water sizzles on it), spray cooking spray.
Place a 1/2 cup of pancake batter in skillet and spread it thin with the back of a spoon or rounded spatula so that it looks almost like a crepe. (This is key in the cooking process)
The batter will begin to bubble.
Turn down the heat to medium. Gluten free pancakes take longer to cook.
After about a minute, gently check the underside. If it is dark golden, it is time to flip.
Once flipped, turn down the heat to medium low.
Cook the pancake for another 1-2 minutes. Check to be sure it is not getting too brown or crispy.
Total cooking time should be about 4 minutes to cook all the way through. If your pancake is getting too dark, just flip it every so often.

Serve with your choice of toppings (I used strawberry real fruit spread).

And enjoy.

Happy Fluffy Flipping!







2 comments:

KayleeBeth said...

Thanks for the recipe! My sista is allergic to gluten so this is awesome :)
And hey I should buy some sad violin music too, cause I am sick too :)

2 Moms of a Feather...Stick Together said...

Yes...thanks for the effort(since you're sick) for posting the recipe. 8~) Get well soon! That is an order!
Take care,
Nancy