Monday, November 14, 2011

Recipes for the Holidays - Eggless Eggnog



As of this writing (typing? keyboarding?) there are only
NINE AND A HALF DAYS LEFT UNTIL THANKSGIVING!!!

But no need to panic.

As long as you have that ceiling fan dusted, those windows clean, the walls washed and that stubborn stain on the tablecloth from two years ago when somebody simultaneously spilled the cranberry sauce AND the Martinelli's sparkling grape juice is removed.

If all of that is done and you are having three families over to dine with you, like I am, then really. There is no need to panic.

Did I mention that I am in a state of panic?

All panicking aside, I do have my menu all ready.

And since it is the week before Thanksgiving and the Holiday season, I thought I would make searching for allergy free recipes a little less stressful for you.

So let's get started with a drink.

No, you sicko. I do not drink THOSE kinds of drinks.

I meant Eggnog.

And, NO, not THAT kind of eggnog, either.

This, er..eggnog, doesn't even have any, uh....eggs.

So I don't know why we call it that.

We just do.

Eggless Eggnog

 1/2 gallon cold milk (your choice: almond, cow, rice, etc), divided
 1 (3.4oz) pkg instant french vanilla pudding mix
 1/4 cup sugar (I say this is optional; others do not)
 3 tsp vanilla extract (you may want to decrease this if you are using a milk substitute that already contains vanilla) 
 1 tsp ground cinnamon
 1 tsp ground nutmeg

 

 In a large mixing bowl, mix together 2 cups cold milk & pudding mix until smooth. Add in sugar, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg. Scrape the bowl to make sure all ingredients are added & mixed thoroughly. Slowly stir in remaining milk, then transfer nog to an air tight container and refrigerate for 30 minutes. It will thicken slightly. Stir before serving.

NOTE: For a thicker drink increase instant pudding mix to 2 boxes.

Also, I have been assured by the folks over at JELLO brand, that their pudding mixes are gluten and dairy free. It is always wise to read the label, though, because ingredients do change from time to time.

Delicious!

Happy Holidays!



2 comments:

Tiffany said...

This actually sounds really good! I might have to try it!

Sunny Jane said...

That turkey has an outie belly button... haha, I crack myself up.