Saturday, December 3, 2011

Ginger Bread Minus Eggs, Gluten and Dairy - No Kidding!

'Tis tradition in our home to bake a batch of gingerbread whilst decorating the Christmas tree.

This yuuummmy bread contains no major food allergens.

Unless you are allergic to ginger.

Then you have a problem.

And you probably can't watch Gilligan's Island, either.

I'll let that one sink in for a minute.

Time's up.

Let's get started, shall we?


 The cast of characters, minus the sugar. He forgot to show up on time.


 First, cream your Earth Balance (or butter) and sugar.


 Next, add your vanilla & molasses. I buy unsulphured molasses.


 Add your flour and other dry ingredients; blend.


 Now you proudly have mud.


 Until you add the hot water, that is!

*During this step, since hand mixing does not work for this recipe and you must use a blender, you will want to hold a towel around your mixer. Or your kitchen will resemble that episode on I Love Lucy when her pressure cooker exploded.

Believe me, use a towel.*


 Then you will have your batter. Gross looking, I know.


 Spread into a pan that has been greased.

Since I have so many gargantuan teenagers in my home,I doubled my recipe and divided it between two 9x13 pans.
Otherwise, I would put it in a slightly smaller pan so that it is thicker.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

 Ta da! The finished product!


 Serve warm.


Top with whatever whipped topping you can have.





And then waltz with your sister because it's so good.


Gingerbread

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Earth Balance or butter
1 egg or replacer (I used Ener-g)
2/3 cup molasses (not dark)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cup gluten free flour or regular flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup hot water

Cream the sugar and Earth Balance. Add egg or replacer and molasses and blend.
Add the dry ingredients, blend.
Add the hot water.
DO NOT BLEND YET!
Put a towel around your mixer and blend on very low speed. You may find it necessary to finish off the last little bit of blending with a spatula until smooth.
Spread the batter in a greased pan (9x9 for a thicker bread, 9x13 for thinner)

Bake in a 350 degree oven 25 minutes for a smaller pan, 30 minutes for a 9x13 pan.

Serve warm with whipped cream of your choice.


Happy Decorating!

2 comments:

ME said...

Thank you thank you thank you! Love gingerbread, but as yet, haven't tried to make any because of the egg issue :P I do believe I shall make some!!

KayleeBeth said...

Fun! :)