Tuesday, January 10, 2012

When life gets so crazy that you can't even blog, at least take time for CHOCOLATE!

If you follow me regularly (all three of you), you may have noticed my absence.

If you don't follow me regularly (all thirty billion of you), you probably didn't even blink.

Oh, well.

But I am back, at least for now, with recipes of chocolaty goodness.

Ready?

Good.

Because today we are talking about these:


These, my friends, are Espresso Chocolate Peppermint Crinkles.

And you may want to purchase the newest Jillian Michaels workout video if you make them.

Because you will eat the entire batch.

I am not making this up.

I must admit that I did not make up this recipe, either. I found it somewhere in cyber space, and have absolutely no idea where. So if you're out there, cookie recipe maker, and you just so happen to stumble onto my blog (*snort*), take the credit.

I did, however, tweak some of the ingredients.

Like making them allergy free.

So, I guess I can take all the credit for this recipe, after all.

Here we go:

Peppermint Mocha Cookies


2 cups all-purpose flour (See GF Flour link at top of page)

2 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup (yes, you read that right) baker's cocoa powder

2/3 cup white sugar

¼ cup brown sugar

½ cup vegetable oil (I used extra light olive oil)

1 1/2 tablespoons espresso powder (I ground it super fine in my grinder)

4 large eggs (I used Ener-G egg replacer)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4 to 1/2  teaspoon peppermint extract (Amount is depending on how pepperminty you like it - do not double your extract if you double the recipe. Simply add just a tiny bit more or it will be too overpowering.)

¼ cup powdered sugar (for rolling the cookies)

 
Combine all of your wet ingredients and blend with a stand or hand mixer. Next, blend together your dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to wet ingredients. Blend until mixed well and ingredients form a dough.


* If using GF flour, you may notice that the mixture is dry. Mine was, so I gradually added unsweetened almond milk until I felt it was the right consistency of cookie dough.

Optional: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. I did not do this. I wanted to get at these cookies!

When you are ready to bake your cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (Do this step if you can. I heart parchment paper!)

Roll the dough into 1 Tablespoon sized balls. Dip half of the dough ball into the powdered sugar, then place the ball onto the prepared cookie sheet, powdered sugar-side up. Place the dough balls at least 1 inch apart on the cookie sheet. When you have filled a cookie sheet, very lightly and gently press down on each ball, slightly flattening it.

Bake the cookies on the center rack of the oven for 8-9 minutes, until the cookies begin to crack on top, and the visible insides of the cookies appear gooey.  Do not over bake the cookies, as they will become dry and crumbly.  Let cookies cool on sheet for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack. 

And proceed to eat the entire batch.

They are that good!



Happy breaking all your New Year's Resolutions! You're welcome!

3 comments:

2 Moms of a Feather...Stick Together said...

Hey....
I missed you!
Glad you're back.
The cookies sound good. 8~)
Did anyone else in your family get to eat any...or did you make them while they were gone and then hide them. ;~)
Take care,
Nancy

KayleeBeth Simmons said...

HMMMM! this look soooo good :)
now i wish we were NOT limiting our sugar intake :(

L♥ve Ya!
KayleeBeth

The Freak Food Gourmet: Mrs. 'Rohmance' said...

Thanks to you both for your comments!

KayleeBeth: Try using agave. I have had much success in substituting it in my recipes. Simply google a conversion chart and you're set! Best wishes!

The FFG