Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Flourless Peach Crisp That Will No Doubt Ruin Your Diet


Mmmm....warm, soothing, peachy crispiness.

If you are allergic to oats, I'll bet you've decided that you had to give up on fruit crisps of any kind.

Am I right?

Well, you're wrong!

Because there is not even one oat or speck of flour in this divine dish at all.

It is actually topped with an almond meal mixture. So you will need a package of this to get things rolling:


Let's get things started, shall we?

Peach Crisp: No gluten, dairy, soy, oats or eggs

8 cups fresh peaches, sliced (I used frozen. You can use homemade canned, but I strongly recommend you do not use store bought canned. It won't be as good.)

*If your peaches were frozen or homemade canned, drain them thoroughly. You will not need to use any cornstarch.*

*If your peaches are fresh, sprinkle in 1 Tablespoon of corn starch or other thickener.*

2 Tablespoons raw agave (You can use sugar if that's all you have on hand, but increase it to 3 Tb.)

Place peach and agave mixture into a lightly oiled 9x13 casserole.

*Topping*
In a bowl, combine:

1 cup almond flour/meal
1/2 to 1 tsp pure vanilla (if your vanilla is very pure, only use 1/2 tsp)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar or 1 Tb. raw agave
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 (scant) tsp cinnamon
4 Tablespoons Earth Balance (or butter)

For best results, mix with your mixer and then reach your hands in there and mix it all together really, really well.

Spread topping over peach mixture.

Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until topping is golden and peaches are bubbly.

Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.


You're also probably thinking that since you're allergic to dairy, the days of using whipping cream are over.

Wrong again!

Because the good folks over at Rich's have made whipped topping possible again (unless you're allergic to soy, then you'll have to go with whipping up canned coconut milk. But that is in another post. I digress...).



This is TRUE non-dairy whipped topping. Go ahead and check that container of 'non-dairy' whipped topping in your freezer. See that little word 'casein' or 'caseinate'? Yep. Dairy. So NOT 'non-dairy'. How in the world do they get away with that, FDA????

And the best part about Rich's? It. Is. So. Stinking. GOOD!

Sure, it's full of chemicals and everything else under the sun.

But that's the risk that those of us who cannot have dairy whipping cream are willing to take. Right?

Besides, we allergy people eat so well the rest of the time, it just cancels all the occasional junk out.

At least that's what I like to think.

ANYWAYS...

Simply pour the entire carton into your mixing bowl, attach a wire beater and mix at medium speed for about three minutes:


Once it is whipped, use what you need and then store the rest in a resealable Tupperware-type container in the FREEZER.

It is very easy to spoon servings out if you simply run a spoon under hot water before scooping the frozen topping out. This stuff keeps for a long time in the freezer and it makes a lot!

So, here is our final product:

It is dangerously, deliciously tasty.

Happy Crisping!

2 comments:

ME said...

Yummy! So, I've started a diet for my blood type that is making me feel infinitely better, I'm amazed in fact. But no dairy, no palm or coconut oil, and a couple others are out, and other odd things I can't have. But usually I can eat your recipes, so thanks for the resource!! It's nice to have people to eat weirdly with, and even share their name :D I might even concede that your spelling of your name is valid...maybe :D

The Freak Food Gourmet said...

Thanks Jaime! Oops! I mean Jamie! haha, slip of the fingers...
I am glad the blood type diet is helping you. I have looked into it and I think with everything I'm allergic to, paired with that diet, I would be down to celery and rutabagas. The great thing about recipes is you can usually tweak them to fit your own diet. That's all I do on here and I think it works pretty well! Blessings!