Saturday, February 25, 2012

SHOUT OUT! For Coconut Milk Products!

I am not allergic, per se, to soy, but my thyroid is.

If you are at all familiar with Celiac and other autoimmune diseases that have an endocrine connection, you will know why my thyroid is not thrilled with soy. (We will cover this subject in another post.)

And for the first part of my 'diagnosed years' (the years I found out WHY I was sick for the first thirty of my life), the only non-dairy yogurts, milks and ice creams available seemed to be abounding with soy.

And then someone, bless their beautiful hides, got the brilliant idea to make non-dairy products from coconut.

Which is NICE to my thyroid! (Yet another posting in the future.)

So in the interest of being the little helper that I am (it's one of my love languages ya know), I am going to share some products with you and give them a little review.

All set? You bet.

Let us begin.

You all know how I feel about coffee. It is the nectar of life.

So I decided to try this nifty coffee creamer made from coconut milk!

My verdict: It was all right. Definitely not as creamy as the dairy variety, but I decided to just stick with my almond milk for the time being. If you like just a 'touch' of creamer with a coconut taste, you will really like this.

Next is this delightful little creature from Coconut Bliss.


This stuff....THIS STUFF!!!!

My verdict: Oh, WOW!!!! It has the smooth consistency of dairy ice cream and tastes just wonderful! And there are so many varieties! The only downside is if you don't like a lot of coconut flavor, then this will not be for you. It really is simply heavenly, though. And the best part? A small serving is really all you need to get that ice cream experience. So rich and creamy, I love this product!

They also sell ice cream bars which are good for a treat on the go. YUM!!!

Now we get to talk about the good folks from Turtle Mountain. Who could NOT like a product from a company with a name like that?!?!?

And I like them even more because they make this:


My Verdict: I really, really enjoy this yogurt! I enjoy the taste, the texture, and the good bacteria. However, I do not enjoy the price. I have not found it any cheaper that right around a buck fifty a container. But for the nutritional benefits, I justify the purchase. It is also made with quite a bit of cane sugar and inulin, which can induce headaches in an unfortunate few. But besides that, this product gets a thumbs up!

(I am currently shopping for a yogurt maker and am in the process of gathering different coconut milk yogurt recipes to make my own. I will let you in on the final product when I complete it. I am so excited, it's silly!)





My Verdict: I was not a big fan of this product simply due to the overpowering coconut flavor. Now, don't get me wrong. I love coconut! Just not on my oatmeal. I imagine that it would be delicious and nutritious in a smoothie or other dessert beverages. But for everyday use, I didn't care much for it. The next time I make a cold, blended drink, though, I will give it another try.

And last, but certainly not least (because there are so many other coconut milk products out there), we must end on a chocolate note. I know you have things to do, so I will let you go. But not until we discuss this little guy.
Even though I have food allergies, sometimes I still feel like a nut and.....sometimes I don't.

I discovered these babies in the fall and I was so excited that I actually jumped up and down in the store aisles. Right there next to the granola bars and hummus. My husband was not embarrassed. He is used to such public displays and promptly bought me four candy bars.

My Verdict: OH, WOW!!!!! YUMMMM!!!!! OH, *chew* WHAT A *smack* DELIGHTFUL *chew* EXPERIENCE!!!!

So now you know how I feel about those. I like them. A lot. There is a teeny, tiny, little bit of a soy emulsifier in them that does not bother me at all. But beware if you are allergic to soy. (If you are, I'll bet you could make your own with enjoy life chips and coconut! In fact, I feel a new recipe coming on!)

And there you have it. A little review on some coconut milk/coconut products that are guaranteed to make your life a little easier.

And your thyroid a lot happier.


Happy Going Coconuts!!!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Coconut anything to me is the best!

April said...

This is my first visit to your blog - I look forward to reading more! :-)

I just discovered Coconut products in the last year myself. I have not had the coconut creamer you showed, but I have found the canned coconut milk works as a great replacement for cream in my coffee - and it can live on the shelf until I open it. {Shake the cans & listen for the more solid ones - they're thicker :-)} Oh, the "ice cream" I've lived my life not eating certain things without the debate of "just eat it vs tummy ache" - the coconut bliss is so yummy! I'm curious to see if I can find the So Delicious yogurt - I've never liked yogurt before, but that was because I've tended to avoid most dairy.

I'm really curious to hear more about soy and thyroid. I don't like soy and don't choose it, but I also haven't really tried avoiding it either. In re-evaluating thyroid, I've had to go gluten free and limited dairy (I reserve dairy for real cheese on my pizza).

I also really like your "Don't be a creeper" tab - I so get what you mean. I will be back to read more and will be your newest follower --- right after I go get my Dark Chocolate Coconut Bliss bar out of the freezer :-D!

The Freak Food Gourmet said...

Thanks for the smile and the kind words! Thank you for visiting - I love to be a help. I find my yogurt at Fred Meyer (may not be where you live, though), Whole Foods, Trader Joes and other health food sections or stores. I printed out So Delicious coupons at the Krazy Coupon Lady website. That is a HUGE help. =)