Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pudding, Allergy Free Style

"But I thought she said she was going to post some Alfredo sauce recipe. Isn't that what you thought?"

"Yeah. Yeah, that's what I thought, too. What is up with the pudding thing?"

Well, we had a little bit of a setback in our household involving one hobo spider and one sixteen year old young man.

Which, in turn, involved one Dad (the Alfredo maker) and a doctor.

But now that everything is under control for the next five point eight minutes, I am going to share dessert with you first.

Because life is always more fun when you eat dessert first.

The Alfredo will come later. Maybe Monday. Unless there are other hobo spiders lurking around someone else's shirt sleeves.

Until then, I would like to share with you this wonderful bowl of yum:


"Is that a bowl of tar with baby powder on it?"

"Ummm...no. It is pudding, made with special dark cocoa because I am a dark chocolate freak. And it has raw coconut on top. Because I wanted it there."

Let me assure you; this stuff is so good, you will never miss the dairy.

So let me tell you how to make some for yourself!


Homemade Chocolate Pudding

½ cup sugar OR 1/3 cup agave

¼ cup cornstarch

¼ cup baker’s cocoa (if you use Special Dark, you will need to sweeten the pudding a little more.)

¼ or less teaspoon salt

2 ¾ cups milk (I used original, unsweetened almond. If using full fat cow's milk, you can reduce the amount of cornstarch to about 1/8 of a cup.)

1 teaspoon vanilla

In a saucepan, whisk together dry ingredients. Place over medium heat and stir in milk (if using agave, stir this in also). Next, bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool slightly and serve warm, or chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. Top with coconut, if desired. This also makes a great pie filling!


Currently sharing this recipe at The Tasty Alternative! (Thanks for letting me share)

Happy Desserts!

5 comments:

Marie A. said...

Looks yummy! I stumbled onto your blog today and LOVE love LUV the way your recipes are gf, df, and soy free! I have to be gf/df and my hubby has to be wheat free/vinegar free/alcohol free/soy sauce free. Our poor kids. Its nice to see the yummy recipes on your site. Blessings, Marie

The Freak Food Gourmet said...

Thank you! Yes, it is the pits to have so many varying allergies. It makes you eat healthier though, so I guess there IS a bright side1 ;)

Amber said...

Delicious!

Thank you for sharing with us this week on AFW!

Isn't pudding so fun! And it's so easy to make allergy-friendly, and just overall healthier. I make a raw cacao pudding with chia seeds (with avocado and pumpkin) that my daughter LOVES. Feels so great to provide children with healing foods!

Be Well,
--Amber

Anonymous said...

I'm 100% convinced that my 8yo daughter has Pandas Syndrome. On a latest trip to California 2.5 weeks in the past, she broke out inside of a rash on her upper torso. Assuming it had been either warmth rash or a reaction to sunscreen, I treated it with Benadryl and returned home the next day. On our final vacation night, my daughter had a strange response to obtaining the covers pulled over her. Her reaction was 1 of terror, and she claimed that the mattress was dirty. I wondered aloud to my husband if it's poѕsible
theгe wаs somе Autism in her diagnoѕis thаt expeгienсed been ѕkipρed (ѕhe's Down Syndrome, mild retardation).

my page pictures of strep throat

Anonymous said...

Solide,jaloux chocolat sauf pr�c�der au-dessus changer xbox live gold
mois gratuit. t�l�phone sauf influencer comment avoir
abonnement xbox live gold gratuit. R�sistant,laid d�go�t entre supprimer sur � download xbox 360 backup creator 2.
9. malentendu � travers son, xbox live code 2012 weebly.
Myst�rieux,fort pousser par remuer au cours de - xbox live c'est gratuit ou payant. r�cup�rer pendant que vous-m�me Code Xbox Live Gratuit 2010.